Thursday, March 26, 2015


     A very long time in coming, I did make progress on the Stancor 10P, getting as far as power supply:

     Rectifier heaters and HV, filter caps, filter choke and bleeder.  It's a little crowded and I struggled to solder the capacitor and resistor to the chassis, even with the big iron.

     That work had it almost done, so tonight I added a few more things:
     Installed output feedthroughs and connected the output, wired up the primary power and the meter.

     Top view:

     Rear view:

     Front view:
     Initial tests -- just power-up, check for excessive current draw, check B+ -- went okay.  Hoping to try more by the weekend.

     Update: Tuned the transmitter up on 40m with a 100 Watt lamp in series, and it made a little power (4:1 balun to a Bird Wattmeter and 50 Ohm load.  Tried it without the lamp and blew the fuse instantly.  So....bigger fuse, and/or 150 and 200W lamps.  Maybe a little Amprobing..

     Update 25 May: Yesterday, I finally brought the transmitter up without a light bulb in series with the 120V AC and it worked. Last time I tried this with the wrong fuse (fast-blow) and it popped immediately -- at which point, I set the transmitter aside for awhile. I didn't have the balun and wattmeter for this test, just a 40W light bulb across the output, which is a bit low-resistance for the link coupling to match to. Plenty more to do but this was a big step.