Monday, July 6, 2009

REFLECTOMETER

Here it is, in all its glory (helps if you know guys who are removing big, old transmitters!).Those are big meters, probably from an old RCA transmitter. Set-reading pots below them, which I should have got as a matched set and ganged so the meter ranges would (mostly) track. Maybe notched pulleys on the shafts and a toothed belt to link them?

Of course, the meter's got to have a pickup element. This one is just razor-cut PC board and a handful of parts inside a homebrew minibox.

Alas, my hamshack is even more chaotic than ever. ...Give me time! (Yes, the Drake W4 Wattmeter is dead, as they so often are).
Speaking of time, it's time for bed!

5 comments:

  1. The care and attention to tight impedance-matching on the rf reflectometer sensor leads is especially impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe notched pulleys on the shafts and a toothed belt to link them?"

    Or how about digital shaft encoders and stepping motors?

    I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After searching for my current telephone after the grandkids have hidden it, I find myself yearning for a simple black 500 phone set. Tied to the wall. Those things are hard to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool!

    My favorite though was your little green and ivory one. Typing on it I felt like Same Spade's secretary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aardvarks: the DC meter leads, you mean?

    Brigid, wait'll you see the Corona Zephyr!

    ReplyDelete